Thursday, February 01, 2007

Recovery TV

Speaking of the Dog Whisperer, many have enjoyed the non-violent techniques of Nanny 911. I am always amazed that my first response is "that kid needs a spanking.", and much like the Dog Whisperer, Nanny 911's focus is to retrain the parents and rehabilitate the kids. Both programs show rapid improvement that seems almost unreal. This reminds me that dynamic and sweeping changes can be made when we learn to do life in a healthy way.

I also like to watch Trading Spouses. It is really easy to see how our lack of openess and preconception cloud honest interaction between those who are different.

Other recovery oriented TV programs:

Breaking Bonaduce:

The title of this program is spot on. Our calous will has to surrender in order to recover. This program is surprisingly honest and transparent. His wife Gretchen's faith and love and commitment are inspiring. Groundbreaking. Worth watching. Although I wish there was more of a narrative for the recovery process. I think Bonaduce legitmately wants to recover.

Shooting Sizemore
:

Seems like a spin off of Breaking Bonaduce. But I applaud recovery oriented programming. This one is a little dark and profane. It seems to focus more on Sizemore's addictive nature and past as well as his obseession with getting his carreer back.

Kudos to VH1 for producing something with fiber.

We already covered "My Name Is Earl"- but to recap: The risqué and sometimes raunchy humor is worth enduring for the solid recovery oriented message at the core of most but not all of the shows. Not to mention the top notch performance, scripting, and special guests. Have you made a list of all those you have wronged and humbley go about rectifying things yet? Then don't judge me.

No comments: