Monday, May 21, 2007

People in churches hurt too

Depression, anxiety and panic attacks, medication, therapy? Wah... in the church? I thought these are the happy shiney people? They must not be trusting Jesus enough with their problems. (sarcasm)


"..There are various emotional diseases people are afflicted by. It may be like me with panic disorder. Quite often it is depression. Maybe it's OCD. Or maybe bi-polar or schizophrenia. I'm sure the list is longer...

There are churches out there that see these issues and their solutions in such a way that I believe further harms the very people the church should be embracing. That is tragic. It needs to stop."

Quote from 'e-runner' at what some may consider a controversy hot spot and what others might consider people talking feeling and trusting- or maybe it is somewhere in between. It is called phoenixpreacher.com a blog where some people dare to speak what they think. (intake of air)


Read the post he(?) has some good things to say.

Update: phoenixpreacher.com has been taken offline. However 'From the Ashes' continues to talk, feel, and trust.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend e-mailed me to show me that you had linked to the article I wrote for the PP blog. I am a 52 year old father of three and married for thirty years.

I have been a part of the PP community for over a year and have shared about my journey as a Christian who deals with panic disorder. My hope in writing what I did was to let others know they are not alone in their suffering and that their faith is not invalidated.

My article was well received and I have had a few folks e-mail me privately to share their stories.

If one person through your link might be blessed in some way by reading what I wrote, that would be tremendous. God bless! Erunner

x said...

Thanks E- Takes courage to swim upstream. Jesus is shown in our weaknesses. I have struggled with things and avoiding the church helped me to get better. Shouldn't be but sometimes is. Embracing God's love through truth can be frightening. Glad you stopped by.

Anonymous said...

Phoenix Preacher, sadly , is gone. But the community of believers there has regrouped as From the Ashes and part of our mission will be to help the hurting and encourage the discouraged.

www.calvarychapelbog.com

x said...

I am saddened to see that. I am concerned about the reasons behind the shutting down of that community. I hope that hundreds will follow your lead in openly talking about concerns, feelings, and problems through the blogging format.

I did note that about 5 pages from 2006 are archived (with comment threads intact) here It would be great if someone had the full archive would publish it.

Also I noticed the merch shop at Cafepress still appeared to be open.