Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Talk, Feel and Trust: Calvary Style


Calvary Chapel Pastor from my old hometown Daniel Fusco in Marin County
discusses hi six issues with the church network, denomination, movement,
non-denominational ministry. Good for him for speaking out. Taking some risk and having an opinion. I hope he continues to become self aware.

I also hope he takes a further step out of denial. I think many CC leaders are addicted to money and power and will continue to overtly and covertly manipulate wounded and upright people in the name of Jesus. (I said many not all.)

That said am I against Calvary? Not at all, it is hard to judge one fellowship against another, however, the pattern of those in leadership is clear and yet to be addressed.

I was born again and attended Calvary Chapel for 19 years. While I do not attend Calvary now I am no more 'of' my current fellowship or against it. I am for Christ and his blood. His truth that shames my misdeeds and heals and forgives them.

I do take odd with one of the things Mr. Fusco states: "the word of God is clear" concerning women teaching. I don't find this clearly stated in the scriptures at all sir. I think this out a of all the issues is the most grieving to the Spirit. Calvary has an awful record on how it treats it's women. The voice of women in the body is so important to what Jesus is doing today, yet I believe that in this movement it is by in large being stifled do to a lack of love, transparency, humility, and misuse of scripture. I once was guilty of this attitude and God had to change my heart. Jesus did not teach that women were anything but equal. Any religion, denomination, or creed that teaches that any person is a 'less then' is to be rejected by me. Galatians 3:28



via From The Ashes
| more details at Christianity Today

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I think many CC leaders are addicted to money and power"

???

Not even close. Yes, there are some, but not many. About being addicted to money, it would be more accurate to say that many CC pastors work a real job in order to pay bills and provide for their family. About being addicted to power, it is true that some misunderstand the CC philosophy of ministry and think that CC's style of church government gives them the right and/or opportunity to be power freaks...but not many.

x said...

Thank you for your comment.

So you are feeling that I am singling out the minority and ignoring the majority.

I could see how you might feel that way.

The pastor mentioned in the post is a "working" pastor. I have a tremendous respect for this model of leadership. I don't fault a pastor who receives a living wage. It is how money and power are eventually abused in the church.

I am not the first to state that the CC 'system' seems to lead leaders into positions of abuse.

I don't think hardly any pastors get involved to make a buck.

It is the structure or lack there of that creates isolation and lack of accountability.

This statement is not in a void; the LA Times is publishing articles about scandal among the highest leaders.

I am appalled at how Chuck Smith appears to have used Lori Pollit.

I would like to hear less denial about how these things are aberrations and more direct discussion about what has to be done to stop them.

Anonymous said...

My last CC pastor showed signs of being addicted to power first and then the money, when it rolled in.

When people asked about his purchasing cars and "giving" them to others on staff every 2 years, he showed them the door. His books are not open for anyone to see or ask questions.

Keeping the books closed is a common practice in CC. Some say it's the main reason for not having membership. If there was a membership, then the law would kick in and the books would have to be open.

Concerned

x said...

Sounds like you are questioning some of the CC organization's practices. Which we should of any fellowship. So what action will your concern bring you to?

I think only rare exceptions take the higher road in those situations, (In other words I being human might make the same poor choices) and usually it is in an environment of accountability.
But if you have a "board" of yes men, who "enable" a pastor, backed up by a co-dependent congregation, who are afraid to talk, feel, and trust, well...
Jesus the poor, the poor in spirit, the true servants, end up at the back of the line.