Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Support

I was talking to a friend earlier about loss, and someone yesterday about reaching out, and it occurred to me that often I think of helping others in terms of direct actions, or words. Yet so much of what the Lord Jesus gives me is simply His presence. Rescuing people doesn't often work; they either resent it or we resent them for not appreciating it enough. Since my experience tells me isolation is part of the despair that the wounded endure; I would posit this: to merely be present with someone in need can do a great good and cost so little. Cost? Why do I assume that the labors of love that are valuable must cost me great sacrifice? When Christ did a physics cut and paste on fishes and loaves, what did it cost him personally?

Sometimes we don't know how to reach out to a wounded soul. I propose the gift of time. Letting another know you are with them cannot remove the pain. But it means they are not alone in it. Time cost you nothing, but is of the most value.

No comments: